Um yeah! That's what our weekend consisted of.
So we built a desk/bookshelf for our bedroom this weekend. Jon had a large desk in there and there was no storage attached to it and it was just big and gaudy. It was meant to be a corner desk, but we had it in the middle of the wall, so it stuck out on the edges too and took up far more space than it should have. So we set out to build some storage bookshelves and add a desk to it too.
Then Jon went to go stain it. He stained it inside, in our bedroom. The smell was pretty horrid, but we figured it would fade away (it has, by the way). However, I turned on the dryer to, obviously, dry our clothes and we smelled this gas smell. Like Kerosene. It was coming from the laundry room, we thought the dryer was going...
We did some googling and sure enough, if you stain or paint inside the house and then run your dryer or other electric item, it WILL smell like kerosene. The fumes hit the heating element and put off that smell.
The smell can last weeks AND it will make your clothes smell like gas too. ICK
So word to the wise, DON'T STAIN INSIDE YOUR HOME!