I really really wanted to homeschool Avery. We started this past year, but I kind of gave up on it. She was ahead of where she should've been so I figured we'll take a year off and then start pre-k this coming year September 2011.
However, now that I think something may be wrong like Aperger's I really think she might benefit from public school. I would rather send her to private, but I think public might be best in this situation. They would have an on campus Therapist that could help her and she could really benefit from other kids. Lots of other kids and the routine that is offered with public school.
Now just a few months ago Jon and I had a HUGE argument about this. He thought it would be best to send her to public until about 2nd grade. I thought best to homeschool her. Now I'm leaning toward his side and I'm afraid to admit it. A little petty I guess.
I just don't know where I stand currently. At least I know I still have a good year to think about it. Preschool isn't necessary here. So I feel like maybe I can start homeschooling this fall and see how it goes. We would still be in a 'testing' phase if you will. So I still have time, I'm just confused.
As a mother I want what's best for my child, but I'm still not so sure that public school is best.
Jon and I need to really sit down and talk about it and see what our options are. We don't live in the BEST of communities. There are gangs that go to the high school here, but the crime is low. And the elementary here is FANTASTIC!
I'm considering sending her for a few years until we can figure out what she has and how to deal with it better. How to respond to her needs and then we'll decide what's best either home or public. Or maybe even private at that time.
Just torn and confused!!